Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Favorite Movie Posters #1


Since my mid-teens I’ve been a lover of movie posters. Although I rarely plop down cash for celluloid-themed paper these days, I still have a sizable collection. Portions of it hang on my walls, while others are rolled up in tubes in storage waiting for the day they can emerge from hiding and become displayed proudly.

Since it’s something I’ve yet to cover on my blog, beginning today I’ll periodically share my love for movie poster art, spotlighting pieces out of my collection and those I wish I had. 


“Star Wars” Style D
This remains my favorite movie poster of all time, partly because of its design and partly because I have one in my possession. Affectionately known in the poster collecting world as “the circus poster,” it was whipped up for the 1978 summer rerelease of the film. It comes from the hands of artist Charlie White III and legendary poster artisan Drew Struzan. Rumor has it that it’s one of George Lucas’ favorite “Star Wars” posters, and he reportedly has the original artwork hung in his home. The peel-back, weathered effect not only makes it super unique, but super cool to boot. 


“Attack of the 50 Foot Woman”
Although I’m not lucky enough to own one of these, I did, however, have a reproduction hanging in my teenage bedroom. Reynold Brown knew how to create a sensational B-movie poster, and this time he was allowed to get a bit saucy for this 1958 sci fi/horror flick. Sure, it oozes with sex appeal, but it’s all in the perception. The image of a giant female (actress Allison Hayes), scantily clad or not, crushing cars in King Kong fashion is the epitome of girl powered feminism. 


“Mad Monster Party”
Legendary fantasy artist Frank Frazetta is responsible for the promotional poster tied to this 1967 Rankin/Bass stop-motion animated classic. No, it doesn’t look like a Molly Hatchet album cover, but it’s a goodie. Wish I could say I have one. Although it’s only black and red on a white background, Frazetta’s monstrous creations are an absolute hoot, and it’s a great depiction of what this movie is all about. If all of the famous monsters of film land got together from some raucous revelry, it would look something like this. Although iconic "Mad" magazine artist Jack Davis designed the characters, it was Frazetta's work that landed on the poster. To learn more about the poster and the film as a whole, open up a copy of “Rankin/Bass Mad Monster Party,” the definitive backstory written by my pal Rick Goldschmidt. You can buy a copy here: www.miserbros.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment