Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Blog is Back


I’m blaming the delinquency of my blog on Elvis.



Actually that’s grandiose, and I can’t lay it all on the King’s jumpsuit-shrouded shoulders. It was, however, my job as the official blogger for Elvis Week 2012 that got me away from my own personal bloggery. 

From August 10 through 19 I was busy covering and blogging in Memphis, Tennessee for this annual gathering of Elvis fans. I gave a fan’s-eye view, and it all appeared online at www.elvisweek.com. 



With it being the 35th anniversary of Elvis’s death, this year’s edition of Elvis Week proved to be super special. Approximately 70,000 fans and journalists from all over the world helped make it an even more monumental occasion. 



It proved quite monumental for me in many ways from guest DJing on Sirius-XM’s Elvis Radio channel to hobnobbing with rock royalty Mike Stoller of Leiber and Stoller fame. One moment I was sitting at a table with Jose Feliciano, the next I was trying on a replica Elvis jacket at the King’s favorite clothier. Like Dorothy in Oz, I was plopped in a magical fantasy land with blue suede shoes and gold records replacing ruby slippers and yellow brick roads.



Once I got back to reality I spent all of last week catching up on work and bypassed getting back to the blog. So now it’s time to crank ’er back up. What better way to do it than by looking back at my Elvis Week experience?



My recollections could fill volumes, but I would suggest that those interested simply go back and read the blogs while they’re still up. If you have Sirius-XM they’ll be playing a replay of my guest DJ hour at 8 a.m. EST on Labor Day.

Love me tender,

Jon

Day 1


Day 2



Day 3


Day 4


Day 5


Day 6


Day 7


Day 8


Day 9

No comments:

Post a Comment